Broad outline for obtaining permission for marriage, the required documents for local wedding couple, and overseas wedding couple

Local wedding couple
Either one of you may give a Notice of Intended Marriage to the Registrar of Marriages through a civil celebrant of marriages. A sum of HK$305 is payable to the government on giving such notice. The marriage has to take place within 3 months of the date of such notice.

The following personal particulars of both of you must be given in the notice of intended marriage :

  • name and surname
  • marital condition (i.e. whether you are a bachelor/spinster; widower/widow; a divorced person; or previously married by any form of marriage)
  • occupation
  • age
  • residential address
  • the full name of your parents
  • in the case of either party is under the age of 21 – the name, address and capacity of the person consenting to the marriage

For marriage of persons aged below 21, divorced persons or widows/widowers, they are required to provide additional supporting documents upon giving of notice. Please refer to the link here for details.

In the case of a divorced person, proof of the dissolution of the former marriage by decree pronounced by a competent court is required upon giving of the notice.

In the case of a widower or widow, proof of former marriage and death certificate of former spouse are required upon giving of the notice. If the required documents are not written in English or Chinese, certified translations of such are required.

If everything is in order, a certificate of the registrar of marriages will be issued upon which the marriage can take place.

Overseas wedding couple

Getting married in Hong Kong?

If you are in overseas and wish to celebrate your marriage in Hong Kong, you have to complete the Notice of Marriage and return it by air-mail to the Marriage Registration and Record Office, together with photocopies of travel documents from both parties and a bank draft of HK$305 made payable to 'The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region'.  The marriage has to take place within 3 months of the date of the notice.

The duly completed Notice of Marriage should be authenticated by a notary public.

At least either the groom or the bride has to sign on the Notice of Intended Marriage, and take it to a notary public to notarize the same.

Both the bride and the groom are required to appear before the Deputy Registrar of Marriages in Hong Kong at least 3 working days before the date of marriage with their travel documents to be examined.  

If everything is in order, a certificate of registrar of marriages will be issued to you for your marriage ceremony. Please give it to your civil celebrant for holding the marriage ceremony.

For recognition of the marriage certificate in other countries, it will have to be notarized by a notary public here and legalized by the Registrar of the High Court in Hong Kong by the issue of an apostille stamp.